Top Family-Friendly Spots
Nestled in the heart of San Antonio, the renowned River Walk is a bustling attraction that offers countless activities for families and kids. Besides being an iconic landmark, lined with hotels, restaurants, and shops, the San Antonio River Walk draws visitors from all over the world in search of unique experiences and treasured memories. As you weave through its beautiful pathways, you’ll find plenty of family-friendly fun and adventure.
One of the highlights for children is La Villita Historic Arts Village, which is situated across the river from GO RIO dropoff point and listed on the National Registry of Historic Districts. The open-air Arneson River Theatre nearby makes this location perfect for outdoor exploration and entertainment. Moreover, the Hyatt Regency San Antonio River Walk offers the easiest access to the River Walk, with various amenities and a bustling atmosphere.
Thanks to its rich history and diverse setting, the San Antonio River Walk ensures an unforgettable experience for families with children. From leisurely strolls along the riverside to exciting dining and shopping escapades, there’s something for everyone in this Texan paradise. So, if you’re planning a trip to San Antonio with your little ones, make sure to include the River Walk as a must-visit destination for loads of fun and adventure.
San Antonio Riverwalk is a popular destination for families with kids due to its scenic beauty and a plethora of activities and attractions. In this section, we will discuss three top attractions that children will love: The DoSeum, San Antonio Zoo, and Witte Museum.
The DoSeum is a hands-on, interactive museum designed specifically for children up to the age of 12. It features a variety of exhibits and activities that stimulate young minds and foster creativity, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. Some of the highlights include:
- Sensations Studio: A space where children can explore the science of sound, light, and touch.
- Spy Academy: An interactive exhibit where kids can solve puzzles and engage in secret missions.
- Little Town: A cityscape for children to role-play in various professions and learn about community building.
Visiting the DoSeum is an enjoyable and educational experience for both children and their parents.
San Antonio Zoo
A perfect place for animal lovers, the San Antonio Zoo is home to over 3,000 animals from 750 different species. The zoo offers several exciting exhibits and activities that are both entertaining and educational for children. Some key attractions include:
- Africa Live!: A journey through African landscapes with animals such as hippos, crocodiles, and birds.
- Big Cat Valley: A chance to observe lions, tigers, and other big cats up close.
- Zootennial Carousel: A colorful, handcrafted carousel featuring various endangered animals.
With its diverse collection of animals, the San Antonio Zoo is sure to captivate children’s interest and curiosity.
The Witte Museum is a premier destination for learning about the history, science, and culture of Texas. Its interactive exhibits and engaging programs cater to all ages, making it an ideal destination for families. Here are some highlights:
- H-E-B Body Adventure: A four-story exhibit focused on health, wellness, and nutrition for children.
- Dinosaur Gallery: A collection of dinosaur skeletons, fossils, and interactive displays that transport visitors back to prehistoric times.
- South Texas Heritage Center: An exploration of the region’s history, culture, and art through engaging exhibits and immersive displays.
The Witte Museum combines excitement and education, making it an ideal destination for children who love to learn and explore.
Riverwalk Boat Rides
One of the best activities for children along the San Antonio Riverwalk is taking a family-friendly boat ride that offers a unique view of the city. Two popular options for boat tours are Go Rio Cruises and River Walk Barge. These cruises combine education, entertainment, and beautiful scenery, making for a memorable experience.
Go Rio Cruises
Go Rio Cruises offers narrated river tours that provide insights into the history and culture of San Antonio. These boat rides are accessible from several locations along the Riverwalk, making it convenient for families with children. The cruises last for approximately 35 minutes and are enjoyable for all ages.
Ticket prices for Go Rio Cruises are:
- Adults: $14.50
- Children (ages 1-5): $8.50
- Local Residents of Bexar County Texas: $12.50
- Senior Citizen (65 & older) and Military: $11.50
All prices include tax.
Go Rio Cruises operates daily from 10 am to 10 pm, ensuring you have plenty of opportunities to fit a boat ride into your itinerary.
River Walk Barge
The River Walk Barge is another excellent option for families seeking a fun and informative boat ride along the San Antonio River Walk. While similar to Go Rio Cruises, River Walk Barge offers a different perspective and highlights other aspects of the city’s history and attractions.
The River Walk Barge operates daily, with tours lasting approximately 35 minutes. Details on ticket prices and departure times for the River Walk Barge can be found at their ticket booth or website.
Both Go Rio Cruises and the River Walk Barge provide engaging experiences that children and parents alike will enjoy. These boat rides offer a chance to learn more about San Antonio’s history while taking in the beautiful views along the Riverwalk.
Outdoor Parks and Playgrounds
Hemisfair Park is a wonderful urban oasis for kids and families alike. The park offers a range of amenities to entertain and engage children, including:
- A playground where kids can run and explore.
- A splash pad to cool off during warm weather.
- Fountains and statues that add visual interest and provide a fun, interactive experience.
- Green spaces and seating areas where families can relax and enjoy their time together.
Located in the heart of the city, Hemisfair Park is easily accessible from the San Antonio Riverwalk, and offers a refreshing break from the busy city life.
Travis Park provides another delightful destination for children along San Antonio Riverwalk. The park features exciting amenities, such as:
- An interactive splash pad, perfect for cooling down on hot days.
- Playgrounds with diverse equipment, catering to various interests and age groups.
- Green spaces filled with trees and plants, offering shade and a place to relax.
- Public art installations that stimulate the imagination and invite play.
This centrally-located park not only offers fun and engaging activities for kids, but also creates a wonderful atmosphere for families to spend quality time together outdoors.
San Antonio Riverwalk offers various family-friendly dining options to suit all tastes and budgets. Two of the most popular kid-friendly restaurants are Casa Rio and Rainforest Cafe. Both establishments cater to younger visitors and provide a memorable dining experience that the whole family can enjoy.
Casa Rio is a traditional Mexican restaurant located directly on the Riverwalk, featuring colorful umbrellas and an inviting atmosphere. Established in 1946, it is the oldest restaurant on the Riverwalk and has a rich history. The menu consists of classic Mexican dishes, such as enchiladas, tacos, fajitas, and more, making it an excellent spot for a family meal.
- Ambiance: Casa Rio’s vibrant, festive setting paired with its scenic river views make it a perfect place for families with children.
- Food Choices: From veggie nachos and quesadillas to combo plates, Casa Rio offers a wide range of menu items that cater to kids and adults alike.
- Special Features: Children receive complimentary coloring pages and crayons to keep them entertained, the restaurant also offers high chairs and booster seats for added convenience.
Rainforest Cafe offers a unique, adventure-themed dining experience that mimics the sights and sounds of a tropical rainforest. Positioned near the Riverwalk, families will be captivated by the animatronic animals, cascading waterfalls, and simulated thunderstorms.
- Ambiance: Kids will love the exciting, immersive atmosphere of a tropical rainforest, with life-like animatronics on display, including gorillas, elephants, and tigers.
- Food Choices: The menu at Rainforest Cafe offers a diverse selection of American cuisine, such as burgers, pastas, seafood, and even a dedicated kid’s menu.
- Special Features: The restaurant houses a gift shop, where guests can purchase souvenirs and toys, ensuring a memorable experience. Additionally, the Rainforest Cafe offers a Gluten-Sensitive menu, catering to diners with dietary restrictions.
Both Casa Rio and Rainforest Cafe are sure to provide an enjoyable dining experience for families along the San Antonio Riverwalk. The inviting settings and fun, kid-friendly menus make these restaurants a top choice for visitors.
San Antonio Riverwalk is a popular destination for families as it offers a variety of exciting entertainment options for children. In this section, we’ll focus on two major attractions: Six Flags Fiesta Texas and SeaWorld San Antonio.
Six Flags Fiesta Texas
Six Flags Fiesta Texas is an amusement park located just a short drive away from the San Antonio Riverwalk. The park features a range of thrilling roller coasters, family-friendly rides, and live entertainment shows that cater to children of all ages.
- Roller Coasters: Children and thrill-seekers can enjoy various roller coasters, including the Iron Rattler, Goliath, and Road Runner Express.
- Family Rides: For those who prefer a more relaxed experience, the park offers family rides such as the Bugs’ White Water Rapids, Yosemite Sam’s Wacky Wagons, and the Crow’s Nest Ferris wheel.
- Live Shows: Six Flags Fiesta Texas also presents live shows, including musical performances and character meet-and-greets that enable kids to interact with their favorite Looney Tunes characters.
SeaWorld San Antonio
SeaWorld San Antonio, another popular attraction near the Riverwalk, provides families an opportunity to learn about marine life through exciting shows, exhibits, and thrilling rides.
- Animal Exhibits and Shows: SeaWorld features various animal exhibits, such as the Dolphin Cove and the Penguin Encounter. Additionally, children can watch entertaining shows like Sea Lion High and One Ocean that showcase the talent and skills of marine animals like sea lions and orcas.
- Rides: The park offers several thrilling rides, including the Wave Breaker: The Rescue Coaster, Rio Loco, and the Great White roller coaster. For younger children, Bay of Play is a dedicated area with age-appropriate rides and attractions.
- Educational Programs: SeaWorld San Antonio also offers multiple educational programs, like the Adventure Camps and Behind-the-Scenes experiences, allowing children to learn more about marine life conservation and animal care.
These are the two noteworthy entertainment options near the San Antonio Riverwalk that promise to make your family trip an unforgettable experience for children. With a mix of adrenaline-pumping rides, engaging live shows, and educational programs, Six Flags Fiesta Texas and SeaWorld San Antonio offer unforgettable moments suited for children of all ages.